Hebrew language is a central part of the Jewish Studies Program.
Through your period of Hebrew study at the University of Maryland, you will gain knowledge and skills to function communicatively in a wide variety of linguistic situations.
In the skill sets of reading, writing, listening, and speaking, you will be exposed to meaningful, authentic texts, exercises, and linguistic tasks that will prepare you for real-life participation in informal and academic or professional settings. In addition, the program places a strong emphasis on the relationship between Hebrew and Israeli culture. You will be exposed to a variety of literary texts, films, advertisements, posters, art, music, journalism and websites that reflect multicultural Israeli society.
The Hebrew program is coordinated through the School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures in the College of Arts and Humanities.
Any student who is not continuing from a previous Hebrew level is required to take the Foreign Language Proficiency Evaluation; in addition, an instructor may require testing of any student whose level is undetermined.
You may contact Avital Karpman at firstname.lastname@example.org
- HEBR106: “Intensive Elementary Hebrew I” (4 credits)
- HEBR107: “Intensive Elementary Hebrew II” (4 credits)
- HEBR206: “Review of Oral and Written Hebrew I” (4 credits)
- HEBR207: “Review of Oral and Written Hebrew II” (4 credits)
- HEBR313: “Conversation & Composition I” (3 credits)
- HEBR314: “Conversation & Composition II” (3 credits)
- HEBR381 & HEBR382: Courses in modern Hebrew culture and literature (3 credits)
- Jewish studies majors are expected to complete JWST313, plus an additional 6 credits in advanced Hebrew. These may be fulfilled with courses in the core Hebrew sequence or other Hebrew or Jewish studies text courses.
Associate Professor, Joseph and Rebecca Meyerhoff Program and Center for Jewish Studies
Associate Professor, School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Harmonia Kings Marrakech Blue, Cinema and Media Studies
Associate Professor, Hebrew
4117 Jimenez Hall
College Park MD, 20742