Faculty & Staff Resources
Anyone interested in applying for a position at the University of Maryland should visit University Human Resources.
New employee payroll appointments will start the first Monday of a pay period (provided the appointee completes all required payroll documents). Any changes to existing appointments should be submitted in advance of the requested effective date.
Note: In order to comply with UMD Policy and Federal Regulations, our office cannot process “same day,” or "backdated" hiring requests. An employee must have an active PHR appointment to work on campus (paid or unpaid).
A number of steps must be completed before an appointee may begin work at The University of Maryland:
Employee Data Collection
The Employee Data Collection Online Form provides the payroll office the information necessary to create your appointment and schedule your onboarding meeting.
The Form I-9 determines work eligibility in the United States. “Employers must complete Form I-9 to document verification of the identity and employment authorization of each new employee (both citizen and noncitizen) hired after November 6, 1986, to work in the United States” (USCIS). This form is sent via email after receipt of employee data and is completed by you online. You will need to present original identification to us no later than 3 business days after your start date.
Acceptable Documents for the Form I-9
Original Payroll Forms (provided upon receipt of employee data)
- W-4 Withholding Allowance Certificate: Claim allowances for Federal and state tax or claim “Exempt” based on your individual tax needs.
- Direct Deposit Authorization: Bank Name, Routing Number and Checking/Savings Account Number (NOT debit card number) required for completion.
If you are in the U.S.. with work authorization, before we can establish your payroll appointment you will need to bring your work authorization documentation to the Business Manager.
Please bring with you:
- DS-2019 or I-20
- I-94 document
- Employment Authorization Document Card (if applicable)
All international visitors (paid and non-paid) will receive an email which allows you to provide the required information and complete most of the necessary forms via the Internet from any web-accessed computer using the GLACIER Online Tax Compliance System. The information and forms must be provided prior to any payment so that the correct tax withholding and reporting decisions are made; failure to do so may result in the maximum rate of tax withholding and/or delayed payment. Information provided to GLACIER is transmitted and stored securely and will only be used by University of Maryland System for purposes of tax withholding and reporting. Please access Glacier and complete the online record, sign and submit the Tax Summary Report and copies of the documents listed near the bottom of the report as soon as possible to Payroll/HR during your onboarding meeting.
Each international person is different, so you may not have some of the documents listed above. Bring only what you have from the list. We will advise you of any additional steps you may need to take.
- Honorarium payments for Nonresident Aliens: NRA payments are processed through payroll. In addition to the Honorarium Payment Form, please see the required NRA forms below:
- NRA Honorarium Documents (Required)
Additional Information for International Employees
- Annually, you will need to complete paperwork with our office in regards to your Visa/Immigration status. Notifications through Glacier.
- Check in with the office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) and attend an orientation in their office.
- Do not work outside the University without checking with an advisor in ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services) office prior to working.
- Be mindful of the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019. Notify Payroll of changes in your status or extensions. If your employment authorization expires, you WILL NOT be allowed to work.
Work days and leave hours must be recorded for Exempt employees and Faculty (50% FTE or more), while Nonexempt and hourly employees are required to record actual hours worked.
Time records must be signed off at the end of each pay period by both the employee and the supervisor.
CPB still requires submission of an original paper form after online completion.
Claiming “Exempt” CANNOT be done online
Note: Paper checks will be issued for 2 – 3 pay periods before changes to Direct Deposit are completed.
Submit original paper document:
Payroll System: University of Maryland
Agency Name: University of Maryland
Agency Number: 360222
- Maryland Supplemental Retirement Plan 401k/457b/403b Enrollment Form
- Maryland Supplemental Retirement Plan 401k/457b/403b Change Form
- Optional Retirement Plan Enrollment Forms
- 457b TIAA (SRA) Enrollment/Deduction Change Form
- 457b Fidelity (SRA) Enrollment/Deduction Change Form
- 403b TIAA (SRA) Enrollment/Deduction Change Form
- 403b TIAA (ROTH) Enrollment/Deduction Change Form
- 403b Fidelity (SRA) Enrollment/Deduction Change Form
- 403b Fidelity (ROTH) Enrollment/Deduction Change Form
- Tuition Remission
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment
- Family Care Resources (Child Care and Elder Care)
- Discounts on Business and Leisure Travel (Amtrak, Rental cars, BWI parking...)
- Additional Benefits for all UMD employees
Purchase & Reimbursement
• JWST Purchase Request Form
• For food purchases, provide a copy of the event flyer, the list of attendees, and all original receipts after the event.
• For purchase of office materials, provide a quotation or vendor form prior to ordering, if available, and a copy of the packing slip after delivery.
• JWST Purchase Reimbursement Request Form
• Provide original itemized receipts, a list of attendees, and an event flyer for food purchases.
• Sign & return the Attestation Form once prepared and emailed to you.
• For employees: reimbursement amount will show up in paycheck/stub within four (6) weeks.
• For students: reimbursement may show up in paycheck or be credited to student account within four (4) weeks.
Travel Guidelines and Forms
• Breakfast: $13.00
• Lunch: $15.00
• Dinner: $28.00
• Total (per diem) - including tax & tip: $56.00
Please note: per university policy, the per diem for breakfast will be given if travelers leave home before 6:30 am and the per diem for dinner will be given if travelers arrive home after 6:30 pm. The per diem reimbursement excludes meals provided at the conference.
• 56¢ per mile (effective 1/1/2021)
• 57.5¢ per mile (for reimbursements for 2020)
Step by Step Travel Guidelines
Step 1: Complete form(s) and submit to Jaclyn Hopkins (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• For all: JWST Travel Approval Request Form
• Allow six weeks pre-travel if international
Step 2: Wait for approval and then travel
• As you travel, be sure to keep original, itemized receipts, as well as boarding passes for travel by air or rail, as required by UMD Travel Services
Step 3: Complete and submit reimbursement forms to Jaclyn Hopkins (email@example.com)
• Provide all original, itemized receipts as well as boarding passes for air or rail travel
• Be sure to include on the Travel Reimbursement Request Form the time when you left home and the time when you returned home to make sure that you receive the proper amount of per diem
• To expedite the process, please organize and tape small receipts on a sheet of paper
• Submit forms and itemized receipts within 30 days after the trip
Step 4: Sign and return the attestation page
Step 5: Wait for your reimbursement
• Employee – amount will show up in your paycheck within 3 weeks
• Participant (not on payroll) – check will be mailed to the home address within 4 weeks